Monday, July 13, 2009

Kung Fu Girl Riesling 2008



We get along very well with our next door neighbors. The fact that we popped over last evening bearing wine and dessert is proof of that. I had picked up a bottle of Kung Fu Girl Riesling a couple of days before and thought it would be fun to try with our friends. Our neighbor was in the middle of brewing his summer ale…see why I like this guy?

You read that right...Kung Fu Girl is the name of the wine. I saw the black and white label with the stylized Asian woman in a "kick-yer-ass" Kung Fu pose and, after standing in the aisle laughing, decided to buy a couple of bottles. As it turns out, the Riesling is produced by Charles Smith Winery. I heard that they make good wines with strange names...

Anyway, we arrived with fresh strawberries, cherries and some fresh fig
s topped with goat cheese as well as our bottle of Kung Fu Girl. The bottle itself had a screwtop, which I don't like as much as a cork but that's just because I like to work the corkscrew...so easily amused.

We opened it and poured into small, aperitif glasses. I was expecting a very sweet wine... I had tried German Rieslings in the past and didn't know there was another style. This wine, from Washington state was the color of pale straw and there were small bubbles making their way to the top of the glass.

The smell re
minded me of citrus and apple and the wife explained I was pretty much describing Asian pears. It was a fruity smell in any event. The taste was a crisp dry sensation which surprised me since I didn't know about dry Rieslings. I sure do now! The four of us scoffed down the fruit and cheese as they perfectly complimented the wine.

There will be more Kung Fu Girl Riesling at my table though in a bigger glass next tiime...this is more than a dessert wine as far as I'm concerned.

It truly kicks ass!


No comments:

Post a Comment